Monday, October 17, 2005

Mombasa Re-visited

Last weekend, Will and I took a night bus to the coast for a two day, budget vacation. Now, when I say budget, I mean BUDGET. With a capital everything.

It took us an hour to find a place to eat breakfast. We ended up at this really sketchy bar with waiters who didn’t understand much of anything we said (I guess they translate “We would like coffee please” into “Get us tea! And take as long as you want!”).

From there, we took a matatu up north to Watamu (the coastal village where we stayed). The ride wasn’t all that bad, except for the fact that in the front seat were about 10 cardboard boxes full of baby chickens chirping their heads off. For the first hour, I was thinking about how many animal rights activists would have been furious to see so many chicks crammed into those little boxes. By the second hour, however, I was planning to throw the boxes out the window and end the incessant chirping. Forget the activists!



In Watamu, we stayed in this tiny, run-down room that cost the equivalent of two grande lattes at Starbucks. It was really, um… nice. You see, the screen on the window only had one fist sized hole in it. The sheets smelled bad, but it was clear that they had been washed at some point. Oh, and the giant wood-beaver sized cockroaches were actually quite friendly!

But oh, the ocean was worth it… Right beyond our door was a sandy path leading to giant coral cliffs and a beautiful blue lagoon, where happy Italian men went swimming in their disgustingly small Speedos. Ok, we could have definitely done without the Italians. But otherwise, the beach was amazing!





Oh yeah, I am a BIG fan of the Kenyan coast now. I thought that my trip down with Chris in June had shown me all there was to see. Man was I wrong! Good times!!!

1 comment: