Sunday, June 01, 2008

Caste today, yesterday...

Well, I guess it's official. I'm leaving for India on July 8! Bought my tickets, bought my insurance... It's just a matter of waiting now.

I've been doing tons of reading about everything from ancient Indian history to Brahmanism to 15th century Indian poetry. Seriously, there is a pile of books on my coffee table.

As I've been reading about the Caste system and "untouchability," as it's called, I've been struck with the similarities between modern Indian society and the world of the New Testament writers. It's fascinating. There is a class of people that is not physically touched at all (Dalits/Lepers), there are deeply rooted stereotypes about entire sections of society (Shudras/Samaritans), and there is an educated elite that believes holy scripture gives them privilege (Brahmans/Pharisees).

Add that to the fact that many people where I'll be going have never even heard of Jesus and his teachings, and you can see why I'm so very curious. Imagine how the Sermon on the Mount would be received by the lower castes... "Blessed are the poor in spirit," "Blessed are the hungry," "Blessed are the meek..."

That was pretty revolutionary stuff back in its day. Maybe it should be still.

If you are interested in seeing a little bit of what I'm talking about, check out this short video. It's a segment from a longer documentary called "India: Untouched."


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I am excited about this opportunity you have to live among these beautiful people and to learn from them and bring back to us your experiences, thoughts, ideas. However, in that, I continue to struggle in my thinking as to whether or not we should be reaching out across continents or if we should be trying to change the lives of the people who are right here in our community - our neighbors. I haven't much experience outside the U.S. and that compels me to WANT to travel and immerse myself in other cultures around the world. It seems so hard to embrace my community yet so easy to embrace cultures that are extremely different than my own. But then again, does it really matter you we are "helping" since all God's children are our brothers and sisters. Could you be using the $ that you (or whoever) are spending on this trip to India to help out some kiddos here in Hamilton County? (P.S. in my opinion there is a "caste" system here in the U.S. its just a little more unexplored). I feel like I am walking the line. This is my struggle Barry (and yet I am still confused as to my point of this comment), but anyhow, do you have any thoughts? Merci!

Barry said...

Allie, that is a great point to be making! Why spend thousands of dollars to travel halfway around the globe, when there are lost and hurting people right here in Hamilton County?

Primary, my answer would be this: I am going to learn rather than to "help" anyone. Though someone may very well be helped by my presence there, I know full well that the main change after a trip like this will be a changed Barry, not a changed India.

Some people head off to other countries believing that they have a lot to offer. As if we Americans have the key to salvation that the rest of the world is just waiting to hear.

But I know that, in three months, I can't possibly learn the culture well enough to begin having a truly significant impact there (at least, nothing compared to what an Indian could accomplish).

However, when I return to the States, I will be a different person. Broken, wrecked, passionate and fired up like never before to help the people in my OWN community.

After being immersed in another culture, staring systemic poverty in the face and meeting Jesus in "the least of these" (Matthew 25), I can guarantee that I will come back changed for the better...

Take my trip to Kenya as an example... I raised roughly $9000 to live there for a year. That money could have helped to feed hungry families right here for months!

But then again, once it was spent on food, it would be gone forever. A one-time gift. Spending it on such a fantastic cross-cultural experience as Kenya, however, was an investment that completely changed my life. I came back totally wrecked and ready to spend the rest of my life getting suburbanites involved in social justice.

Since then, because of my new-found passion, I have been a strong advocate of the Hamilton County Food Pantry Drive (among other things), and have watched as many many thousands of dollars worth of food have been channeled into local food pantries.

In this case, the investment paid off. I am praying that India will do the same...

Does that answer your question?

Kim said...

barry, thanks so much for posting this documentary. so informative and eye opening. we pray for you as you begin this exciting new journey that God is leading you on. we know He will use it to deepen your faith, change your life, and stoke that fiery passion of yours to end injustice. we are looking forward to reading your blog and experiencing this trip with you vicariously.

Kim said...

okay, this may be a question you can't answer but, the people who are using the bathroom on the street...are they doing that to be cruel to the woman who is sweeping or do they not have a "toilet"? just wondering...

Barry said...

Not sure I know what you're referring to. Is it part of the documentary?

Kim said...

barry,

yep, part of the documentary...think it was titled "day in the life of street sweeper"...