Monday, June 23, 2008

A new meaning for sorrow...

Only two short weeks before I am on the plane! To say that I am excited is an understatement. I ache to once again walk among the world's outcasts, the poorest of the poor. To sit at the feet of a revolutionary who is unafraid to take on one of the world's most deeply ingrained systems of oppression...

The last few weeks have been a whirlwind of emotion. I helped teach the Intro to Poverty seminar, watched my friend Chris get married, wrapped up my year-long internship and spent almost five days in the suburbs of Baltimore interviewing for a position at Lifepoint Church. Add that to moving out of my apartment, packing for India and um... starting to grow a beard? ...I think you get how crazy everything is.

And somehow in the midst of it all (not exactly sure how I've pulled this off) I've been able to devour a couple of awesome books. One that is especially fascinating is Debrahmanising History by Braj Ranjan Mani. In it, Mani seeks to re-write Indian history from a non-upper caste perspective. It's mind-blowing.

One of the most intriguing chapters is focused on the socio-political implications of Buddhism. To my surprise, Buddhism actually speaks very strongly against social injustice, and was apparently opposed to the caste system from its inception! I guess I always thought it was only a religion for warrior monks who fight each other high in the mountains using the legendary "anxious lotus" style or something...

To give an example, I found this beautiful poem by Daya Pawar, who is writing about the Buddha not as a mystical god-like being, but as a compassionate hero. I hope that some day this can be said of me...

I see you
walking, talking,
breathing softly, healingly,
on the sorrow of the poor, the weak,
going from hut to hut
in the life-destroying darkness,
torch in hand,
giving the sorrow
that drains the blood
like a contagious disease
a new meaning.

2 comments:

eness said...

that is a beautiful poem, barry and i hear those sentiments echoed in your own desire/drive to be with the least of these. i'm so glad you're doing this blog! it'll be great to follow your journey.

Amy K. Sorrells said...

Hi Barry! Is it ok to say we are so proud of you? Hope you can keep this blog going throughout your journeys. If you are not fully funded or need support, please let us know. We'd be honored to help in whatever miniscule way we can. I've added you to my blog site so others can follow your journey. In the meantime, praying for traveling mercies and abundant blessings, and further "wrecking" for you, dear heart and dear sojourner. So thankful for your heart and courage. Press on, dear servant!